Quarry Hill Board of Directors
Friends of Quarry Hill Nature Center is actively seeking board members.
Since 1972, Quarry Hill Nature Center has been opening eyes and minds through natural science discovery. As Rochester’s first and only nature center, we are open year round, offer free admission, and host a variety of special events, activities, natural science classes and summer camps for nature enthusiasts of all ages.
In our 40-plus years, Quarry Hill Nature Center has partnered with the City of Rochester Parks & Recreation, Rochester Public Schools, the Minnesota DNR, the Rochester Active Sports Club and others to encourage hands-on natural science education, healthy active lifestyles, and a lifelong appreciation of nature. In recent years, the organization has seen a significant transformation that will lead us into the next 40 years.
In 2014, Quarry Hill Park and Nature Center applied for and was identified by the Greater Minnesota Parks and Trails Commission as a Minnesota Park of Regional Significance. As a result of this recognition, the Friends of Quarry Hill Nature Center initiated a master planning process to guide the development of a long-range vision for the park and nature center. Top priorities identified in the master plan included the revitalization and expansion of the Exploration Hall exhibits and the construction of the Prairie House, a new and environmental smart designed educational building north of the main nature center. Both projects were made reality in 2018 following a successful capital campaign which raised over 98% of the $2.6 million campaign goal.
All of this has been accomplished through the leadership of a strong Board of Directors, dedicated and committed staff, and passionate community members who believe in the mission of Quarry Hill Nature Center.
Right now, there is an opportunity to join the Friends of Quarry Hill Nature Center‘s Board of Directors, an opportunity to get things done with a hard-working, environmentally-aware and dedicated group of people. Quarry Hill Nature Center is on solid financial footing and is working toward continued growth and development. Now is an exciting time to get involved.
Current duties of the Board of Directors include:
- Support Quarry Hill Nature Center (QHNC) mission, purpose, goals, policies and programs.
- Support the staff and teachers of QHNC in their work.
- Attend regular board meetings and complete action items in-between meetings
- Serve actively on a committee of the Board as requested by the Chair
- Approve the annual budget, review quarterly financial statements and oversee the implementation of the annual financial audit
- Represent Quarry Hill Nature Center at events and activities
- Believe in the mission of Quarry Hill Nature Center
- Understand and be willing to make the required commitment to attend board functions
- Network and make connections in support of Quarry Hill Nature Center
- Demonstrate excellent follow-through with commitments
- Previous experience serving on a Board or other committee
- Display professional experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Special Events
- Strategic Planning/Business Development
Thank you for considering joining our Board of Directors. If you would like to apply for a board position, please fill out the application. If you have any questions for the Board of Directors, please email us! We look forward to hearing from you.
Current Friends of Quarry Hill Directors:
Bob Cline, President
Olmsted County Human Rights Commission, Chair
Barb Ames, Treasurer
Weber & Judd, Accountant
George Penokie, Secretary
Avago Technologies, Sr. Storage Architect (Retired)
City of Rochester Director of Parks and Forestry
RCTC Program Director (Retired)
Rochester Public Schools Elementary Teacher
Attorney, Mayo Clinic